Home > Visa & Passport > Visa Application > Instructions
Chinese Visa Application Requirements

    In accordance with the law of China on the Administration of Entry and Exit of Foreign Nationals, all foreigners must follow the procedures listed below to apply for a visa and must present required documents.

    1. Basic documentation and application form:

     Actual passport of more than six months validity with a blank visa page.
     One complete application form (The People's Republic of    China Visa Application Form) with one recent passport size    photograph (black and white or color).

    Note: if the application form is not completely filled out, or it is not  legible, this can cause procedure delay or the visa to be   denied.

    2. Types of visas and related requirements.

    (1) Business/Official visit visas (F Visa)

    An official invitation from related Chinese government departments  or companies / organizations authorized by Chinese Ministry of  Foreign Affairs to issue visa is required. Based on the official  invitation with a company letter from your company, you can apply  for a single, a double entry, or a multiple entry visa.
    For commercial information, please visit: www.meetchina.com

    (2) Tourists/family visit visa (L Visa)

    Based on various situations, the Consul has the authority to require  applicants to present a tourist visa invitation from a Chinese tour  agency or an invitation letter from relatives to be visited.  Additionally,  you may be required to provide actual airline tickets  showing  departure from China.  A single entry, a double entry, or a  multiple entry visa can be applied.

    For travel to Tibet, please contact the Tourist Bureau of Tibet  Autonomous Region to obtain approval before applying for a visa.
        Tel: 86-891-6834313     Fax: 86-891-6834632
        Tourism information, please call China Travel Agency in NY:  212-7609700

    (3) Student Visas (X Visa)
    Along with the visa application, you must provide an approved  JW201 or JW202 (Foreign Student Visa Application Form) issued  by the State Education Ministry of China, and an enrollment letter  from the receiving university.

    (4) Employment / Work Visa(Z Visa)
    In addition to the application form, you must submit an  official  invitation issued by a Chinese Government  Agency, a  government- authorized company to work in  an academic and scientific research  project, or to provide technical and  economic assistance must  submit a Foreign Specialist's  License issued by Chinese Foreign Specialist Bureau.

    Note: For foreigners staying in China longer than one year, you  must also submit a notarized health certificate. If this health certificate is initiated in the U.S., in order to make this legal in China, it must be notarized by your local Notary  Public, legalized  by the Secretary where the document was  notarized or certified,  authenticated by the U.S. State  Department, and the Chinese  Embassy. Please read Instruction for Notarization and Authentication.

    (5) Transit Visa (G Visa)

    A valid visa of the country of destination, or an invitation, and an  airline ticket/travel itinerary showing transit through China is  required.

    (6) Journalist' s Visa (J1, J2)

    Please contact the Press Office of the Chinese Embassy.
        Tel: 202-3282580 (For print reporters), 0r 202-7456542(for TV and  Radio reporters)

    (7) Diplomatic/Official Visa

    Officials of foreign governments or member s of a diplomatic or  consular mission, members of the United Nations, or an international  organization, who will visit China on official business or are  dispatched to a mission in China, must submit an official note from  their government or their employing organizations along with their  applications. In some cases, they may be requested to provide an  invitation from related Chinese governmental agencies. Primary  contents of the letter must include the applicant's full names, his/her  rank (title) , the name of the employer , passport type and number,  purpose of journey, entry and departure date, and the duration of stay  in China.

    (8) Airline Crew, Pilots and Mariner Visas( C Visa)
    For those international airline crew, pilots, and merchant mariners  who work for companies with mutual agreements with China, they  must submit an official letter from their employer with their visa  application. For those who work for companies without mutual  agreements with China, a visa will be issued only when a telex and  landing/docking permit is received from competent Chinese  governmental agencies.

    (9)Resident Visa (D Visa)
    Applicants for resident visas must apply for residency by themselves  or through their relatives in China with the local Entry and Exit  Administration division under public Security Department. After  obtaining approval, they can apply for a Resident visa at the visa  office by submitting the visa notification of the said division.

    (10) Group Visa
    A tourist group of seven and above can apply for a group visa if they  plan to enter and leave China at the same time. The group must  provide an invitation from a Chinese travel agency, photocopies of the  information pages of their passports with related amendments, and  three properly completed Group Visa Application Forms.

   3. Visa for foreign-born Children of Chinese Origin

    The Chinese Government does not recognize dual nationality.

    For foreign-born children of Chinese Origin, if one of their parents  has become a naturalized citizen or permanent resident of a foreign  country, (for example, possessed a U.S. Alien Registration Card), they  are in fact foreign nationals. If they wish to visit China, they must use  their foreign passports to obtain a Chinese visa. Procedures,  requirements, and fees for obtaining a visa are the same as for other  foreign nationals.

   4. Visa application with "Permit to reenter the United States"

    Chinese citizens do not need to apply for a visa to go to China if they have a valid Chinese passport. For Chinese citizens who have obtained U.S. Residency, (in possession of a U.S. Alien Registration Card) if they want to use the "Permit to Reenter the United States" to travel to China, they must obtain a visa.  The application fee and requirements are the same as for U.S. citizens.

    For Chinese citizens who possess Chinese service passports or passports for public affairs, and have obtained a U.S. Alien Registration Card, if they want to use the "Permit to Reenter the United States" to go to China, the Chinese Embassy or Consulate will not grant a visa.

    For those foreign nationals other than American or Chinese applying for a Chinese Visa with "Permit to Reenter the United States," the fees and requirements are the same as for U.S. passport holders.

   5. Visa Applications or Entry Permit for China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region:

    U.S. citizen who possess a valid U.S. passport going to Hong Kong for business or tourism may stay in Hong Kong for three months without a visa.  If they plan to stay in Hong Kong for over three months or if their purposes are for employment, study, training, residence, or visiting relatives, they must apply for a visa.

    Chinese citizens who do not possess foreign residency can transit/stay in Hong Kong for seven days without a entry permit.  If they wish to stay over seven days, they must apply for approval through the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

    Chinese citizens possessing foreign residency can apply for a Hong Kong Entry Permit for up to fourteen days at the Chinese Embassy and Consulate.  If they wish to stay for over fourteen days, they must apply for approval through the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

    Those individuals who possess "Permit to Reenter the United States" can apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulates.

    Detailed instructions for application for a Hong Kong visa or Entry Permit are listed in "Instructions for Applying for a Hong Kong Visa/Entry Permit" and Application instructions listed on the Hong Kong Visa Application Forms.

    For more information about Hong Kong Visa Application, please visit
     www.info.gov.hk/immd   ;  Tel: 00852-28246111;  Fax: 28777711

   6. Methods of Application:

    Applicants can appear in person or by designated representatives  to  apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulates.
    Applicants can apply by mail.  Please read IV "Instructions for Mail  Service".  (THERE IS NO MAIL SERVICE AT OUR SERVICE  WINDOW IN THE VISA OFFICE.)

   7. Visa Validity:

    Generally, a visa is valid for three months from the date of issue.  Please apply for your visa no more than three months, no later than thirty days before the planned date of departure to avoid expiration of the visa.

   8. Processing Time:

    It takes a minimum of five working days to process a visa.  Applicant can request expedited processing.  Rush/Express/Special Express is available only with the approval of the consular official and additional rush service fees for 10/20/30 dollars will be charged.

   9. Visa Fees.  (The Embassy & Consulates does not accept personal checks.   Please provide cash, money order, or company checks.)

   The following visa fees are applicable to citizens of all nationalities applying for a Chinese visa in U.S.A.

   Number of Entry Validity    Duration    Visa Fee
   Single   3 months   30 days      $30
   Double  3 months    30 days (each entry)     $45
   Multiple   6 months    30 days (each entry)     $60
   Multiple  12 months   30 days (each entry)   $90

   10. Person suffering from mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other diseases shall not be allowed to enter China.

   11. (1) The Validity of the Visa, Duration of Stay, and Number of Entries, are issued at the discretion of consular officer, whose decisions are based strictly on the laws and regulations of the Chinese Government. (2) The consular officer has the authority to refuse any applications inconsistent with Chinese laws and regulations.  (3) The consular officers are entitled to change and /or revoke issued visas.  The consular officer reserves the right to refuse any application and withhold disclosure of the reason.

   12. All requirements listed above are subject to change without notice at the discretion and interpretation of the Chinese Embassy and Consulates General.

   Updated: June 1, 2000

[Suggest to a Friend]