China opens exhibition on relief work in northwestern mudslide-hit county
2010/12/22

BEIJING, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- China on Wednesday opened an exhibition on the relief work carried out after a massive mudslide devastated Zhouqu County in northwest China's Gansu Province earlier this year.

The exhibition comprehensively reconstructs the different scenes of the relief work, illustrating the great national spirit displayed by soldiers and the public alike, said Liu Yunshan, head of the Publicity Department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, at the opening ceremony of the exhibition here.

Liu said that President Hu Jintao and other senior CPC leaders attached great importance to the relief work.

Soldiers and the public participated in the search and rescue of survivors, local resident resettlement, drainage of the barrier lake and the reconstruction work, Liu said.

Chinese Vice Premier Hui Liangyu attended the opening ceremony.

The exhibition will last one month to Jan. 22, 2011.

The mudslide that hit Zhouqu in August has left more than 1,750 people either dead or missing. About 47,000 people were affected by the mudslide and the flooding.

Suggest to a Friend
  Print