- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Spring Festival Reception(2017-02-02)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the 2017 Annual Gala Dinner of the China General Chamber of Commerce(2017-01-13)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Screening of Documentary Survival in Shanghai and the Reception in Celebration of 25th Anniversary of Establishment of the Diplomatic Relations between China and Israel(2017-01-11)
- Ambassador Cui Tiankai's Remarks at the 2016 Gala Dinner of the US-China Business Council(2017-01-01)
- Ambassador Cui Tiankai's Remarks at the 2016 Gala Dinner of The U.S.-China Policy Foundation(2016-11-19)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Screening of theHistorical Document Mr.Deng Goes to Washington(2016-11-18)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Luncheon Celebrating the Opening of the New Nixon Library(2016-10-14)
- Address by Ambassador Cui TiankaiAt the 2016 Chinese New Year Reception in North Carolina(2016-01-27)
- Address by Ambassador Cui TiankaiAt the 2016 New Year Celebration Gala Dinner ofThe China General Chamber of Commerce – U.S.A(2016-01-19)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui TiankaiAt the Chinese Artifacts Repatriation Ceremony(2015-12-12)
- China-U.S. Relations: World is Our Stage of Win-Win Cooperation
- Keynote Address by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the 2015 Gala Dinner of the National Committee on US-China Relations
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Reception Celebrating the 66th Anniversary of the People's Republic of China(2015-09-29)
- We stand with U.S. for peace(2015-09-03)
- China & America: Stay Focused on What Really Matters(2015-08-27)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Opening Ceremony of the 19th China-U.S. Human Rights Dialogue(2015-08-13)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Reception Celebrating the 88th Anniversary of the Founding of the PLA(2015-07-28)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai,Permanent Observer of China to the OAS At the Dialogue Between OAS Members and Permanent Observers(2015-06-19)
- Ambassador Cui Tiankai's Interview with The Wall Street Journal on South China Sea(2015-05-29)
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Symposium onXi Jinping: The Governance of China(2015-05-28)
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Guest of Honor Country Presentation,Global Market Forum, 2015 Book Expo America(2015-05-27)
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Asia Society Texas Center(2015-05-17)
- Interaction Between China and the United States in Asia Pacific Should Promote Regional Balance, Inclusiveness and Win-win Cooperation(2015-05-14)
- Keynote Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the International Conference on China-US Cooperation in Global Security Affairs(2015-04-17)
- Building-up of China's capabilities in the South China Sea serves the security, stability and freedom of navigation(2015-04-17)
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the 25th Anniversary Award Gala of the Committee of 100(2015-04-09)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Signing Ceremony in OAS
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the China-US Economic and Investment Dialogue & the Annual Gala of the China General Chamber of Commerce-USA(2014-10-10)
- Transcript of Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the US-Asia Institute's Reception Commemorating 35th Anniversary of the Normalization of China-US Relations(2014-06-13)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at The Opening Reception of the Exhibition of Sculpture of Yuan Xikun(2014-05-09)
- Speech at the Wilson Center Kissinger Institute(2014-04-29)
- China's Policy towards the Asia-Pacific(2014-04-25)
- Speech by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the United States Institute of Peace(2014-04-11)
- Remarks at the Releasing Ceremony of the "US-China Relations: Toward a New Model of Major Power Relationship" Report At the Center for American Progress(2014-02-20)
- Peace Through Pandas(2013-12-02)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Carter Center Forum on China-US Relations(2013-11-27)
- China's Foreign Policy and China-U.S. Relations(2013-10-09)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Report Launch " China-U.S. Cooperation: Key to the Global Future "(2013-09-18)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai At the Launch of the English Version of Zhu Rongji on the Record: The Road to Reform, 1991–1997(2013-09-11)
- Remarks by Ambassador Cui Tiankai at the Reception Celebrating the 86th Anniversary of the Founding of the PLA(2013-07-26)
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney,
Assistant Secretary Russel,
Ambassador Stuart Holiday,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Welcome to the Chinese Embassy. It is a great pleasure to have so many friends with us tonight. According to the lunar calendar, today is the fifth day of the new year, an auspicious day to open business and have friends for celebration. Therefore, it is a great time to welcome you all here in the Chinese Embassy tonight to celebrate the Chinese new year.
As you know, this is the year of the Rooster. In Chinese culture, rooster stands for independence, pride, diligence and pursuit of excellence. There is an idiom in the Chinese language "Wen ji qi wu", meaning a person rises up early in the morning upon hearing the crow of a rooster and practices swordsmanship. This is to encourage people to embrace every new day with hard work.
This is also a year of great significance for both China and the U.S., as well as China-U.S. relations. For our American friends, you have a new government sworn in just a few days ago. For China, the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party will be held in autumn, which will give clear guidance to China's development in the years to come. For China-U.S. relationship, there are new opportunities ahead of us.
Since the establishment of diplomatic ties between China and the U.S., our relationship has been tested by ups and downs, yet has kept moving forward with great progress. Now our cooperation and exchanges have deepened and extended more than ever before. The global and strategic significance of China-U.S. relationship is greater than any time in the past.
Over these decades, we have learned that we should always respond to difficulties and challenges by cooperation, instead of conflict or confrontation; that we should fully respect concerns of each other and never challenge the core interest of the other side; and that we should work together for win-win cooperation, instead of being misguided by zero-sum or cold war mentality.
As two great countries, it is our shared responsibilities to the international community to continue to develop our relationship on the basis of non-conflict, non-confrontation, mutual respect and win-win cooperation. It is our hope that the two sides will keep moving towards the same direction for more progress in growing areas of exchanges and cooperation, so as to facilitate our respective domestic agenda and serve the interest of world peace and development
Cultural exchanges bring people closer as they gain more understanding of other cultures. Here I want to thank the Meridian International Center for your dedicated efforts to promote people-to-people exchanges between China and the U.S. The China Cultural Evening is now a most popular Spring Festival program in D.C. area, thanks to the seven-year long cooperation between the Center and the Chinese Embassy.
I also want to thank the artists and performers from Beijing. They traveled all the way here to celebrate the Chinese new year with us. They brought us Chinese folk music, Peking opera, acrobatics and traditional handicrafts. I hope that our American friends, especially families and kids, will enjoy their wonderful performance.
In particular, I want to thank the Capital Museum of China for bringing us this wonderful exhibition of Chinese New Year Traditions in Beijing. I hope you can see, experience and taste by yourselves how the Chinese people celebrate the Spring Festival.
I wish all of you and your family a healthy and prosperous year of the Rooster. Please enjoy the evening.